Friday 18 February 2011

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

So awhile ago I decided I wanted to do some painting and I had a hard time deciding what to paint.  Then I found some You Tube videos on how to do Chinese brush painting.  They were posted by an interesting and inspiring lady named Yang Haiying.  After watching a few videos I thought "Hey i can do that!" They looked simple enough in design and I figured I didn't really need to know how to draw to make them because they're abstract.  So I practiced and I practiced and well my paintings didn't end up being so good. Turns out Chinese Brush painting is incredibly HARD!  These paintings appear to be made out of a few quick brush strokes but in actuality they are made out of a few PERFECT brush strokes.  Even after practicing one brush stroke for several hours none of them would compare to being perfect.  I haven't tried painting in this style in about a year and I have decide to take another crack at it.  Hopefully I will end up with something I'm not embarrassed to hang up on my wall.

2 comments:

  1. The easiest thing to do at this point is give up, trust me, I know this first hand. So stick with it through the frustration, though the hopelessness, and through all the crap you'll put to paper, before you get to the good parts, you've gotta push yourself through the bad, but in the end it'll all be worth it, trust me, i know this first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep practice, practice, and practice. Thank you for thinking or mentioning about me. Finding this note brings a remote memory. Have a wonderful weekend. yanghaiying

    ReplyDelete